On the front page of yesterday’s Philadelphia Inquirer, there was a story describing what might be the largest personal archiving project ever. Mrs. Marion Stokes, who died in 2012, recorded all the TV news on all channels for nearly 35 years. Her collection filled nearly 140,000 videocassettes which weigh about 31 tons!
About Donald T. HawkinsDonald T. Hawkins is a writer, blogger, speaker, and long-time information industry observer whose distinguished career included 15 years in the AT&T Bell Laboratories Library Network, where he was honored for his pioneering contributions in end-user searching. He is the author of hundreds of articles and a two-time winner of the UMI/Data Courier Award for excellence in writing. He is the editor of Personal Archiving: Preserving Our Digital Heritage.
Author Archive | Donald T. Hawkins
I said in my previous posting that our digital data are fragile and perishable and that preservation is one of the most important reasons to undertake an archiving project. And as it turned out, that consideration led eventually to the publication of Personal Archiving: Preserving Our Digital Heritage.
In the early morning hours of November 6, a fire broke out in the scanning center of the Internet Archive’s headquarters in San Francisco (click here to view photos). Fortunately, it was contained fairly quickly, and losses were mostly confined to specialized hardware, estimated to have been worth about $600,000. Nobody was injured, and there was no loss of stored data. The main headquarters building was not damaged, but a residence on the other side of the scanning center was extensively damaged, and the occupants were temporarily relocated.
- So long, it’s been good to know you May 13, 2016
- Author Michael Gruenberg at Computers in Libraries 2016 April 6, 2016
- Planning to Retouch, Repair or Manipulate Digital Images? March 28, 2016
- She never forgot it was ours February 23, 2016
- Wishing You Peace and Happiness December 16, 2015
- Now in the Pipeline –The New Digital Scholar August 11, 2012
- The Extreme Searcher Rides Again…? January 21, 2013
- The Trouble with QR Codes September 18, 2012
- Marketing in Libraries: Yes, It’s Up to You! December 7, 2012
- Some Interesting Thoughts about Librarians and Blogging August 6, 2012
- Supharb Oonyorn: Something that is very valuable. Preserved for as ...
- Nazarii Ornat: here Happy New Year...
- Purniti Gulati: Big Data Librarians Have Landed Book name in inter...
- Summer Reading Program: Purposeful Fun » Public Libraries Online: […] spice up your program, dig into the idea...
- Babita Singh: hello thanks For Great Post Like This http://qr4...